The Official Website of Margate Football Club
Facebook icon Twitter icon Instagram icon YouTube icon Mailing list icon
Margate FC 2 - 1 Kingstonian
Latest Result
Sat 23 Apr @ 3:00 PM
Match Centre
Margate FC Glebe
Next Fixture
Sat 09 Jul @ 3:00 PM
Match Centre
Home / News / Match Report / Gate Comeback To Claim Point

Gate Comeback To Claim Point

Gate Comeback To Claim Point

By Tom Morris

On a wet and very windy afternoon at Hartsdown Park attention quickly turned form the COVID-19 restrictions off the pitch to the action on it. Just 3 minutes had elapsed when Nyren Clunis collected a lose clearance and aimed a shot at goal; he got it all wrong but managed to divert the ball to David Fisher who had nothing to do but tap the ball home. 1-0 Robins and not the start the Gate had hoped for.

The Robins continued to press hard and almost scored a second (10’) when Koroma cushioned a header down for Fisher to fire at Vose, moments later a Cheadle free kick (15’) found its way to Sogbanmu at the back post but Swift stuck out a leg and made a vital interception. Clunis sliced a half volley wide at the back post (22’) before Margate had their first chance; Ufuah, Sessegnon and Prestedge linked up nicely before the rapid front man got in behind and fired a cross into the box that Dudley headed clear. 

The pattern of the first half seemed set on the Gate defending and the Robins attacking and an inevitable second goal came in the 34th minute. Once again Nyren Clunis got the assist as Omar Koroma ghosted in behind the Gate centre backs and slotted the ball home passes the stranded Vose. 2-0 Carshalton and on a wet and windy afternoon it seemed like the Gate would have nothing to show for their efforts. The rained eased off and after 1 additional minute Scott Rudd brought the first half to a close. 

Margate started the second half brightly, a yellow card (50’) for a bout of over exuberance from Friend summed up our early endeavours. Sessegnon made a number of vital blocks and interceptions at the back (53’) and Porter on the other flank was constantly looking for the run of Ufuah. A failed shout for a penalty (55’) wasn’t to be stressed over for long as Margate pulled a goal back on the hour mark in fortuitous circumstances; Ufuah ran at Dudley, turned him and shot towards goal but the defender recovered to clear the ball only for it to hit the back tracking Proctor and go over his own line! 1-2 and still half an hour to play.

Possession was evenly shared but the chances were starting to fall in Margate’s favour, Bancroft won a corner (77’) that was well cleared before Ufuah looked for Evans with a through ball (80’) that the midfielder almost got too had it not been for the recovery challenge of Cheadle. The telling play came in the 90th minute; Toby Bancroft went down under pressure in the box and the referee had no hesitation in awarding the penalty. John Ufuah calmly stepped up to score for the second match in a row at HDP and ensure that the Gate took a point from a thoroughly entertaining game in the Isthmian Premier League.

Manager Saunders said after the game:

“it is a cliché but that was a game of two halves! After being 2-0 down to a particularly good Carshalton side I am happy with the point”

“the lads responded well to the half time team talk, John took his penalty very well and the lads can be pleased with the way they got back into the game”

Margate: Vose, Sessegnon, Porter, Prestedge, Friend, Swift ©, Moncur, Burnett, Ufuah, Evans, Bancroft.

Subs: Kallmeier, Lamb, Carey (Prestedge 70, Steele, Hatton.

Margate are next in action on Tuesday evening as Hornchurch visit HDP. Supporters can purchase tickets to that game by clicking here.

Sunday, 27 September 2020
By Charlotte Richardson

More news