The Official Website of Margate Football Club
Facebook icon Twitter icon Instagram icon YouTube icon Mailing list icon
Margate FC 2 - 1 Kingstonian
Latest Result
Sat 23 Apr @ 3:00 PM
Match Centre
Margate FC Glebe
Next Fixture
Sat 09 Jul @ 3:00 PM
Match Centre
Home / News / Match Report / Casuals Down Gate In Shoot-Out

Casuals Down Gate In Shoot-Out

Casuals Down Gate In Shoot-Out

Margate were knocked out of this seasons Velocity Trophy in the cruellest of fashions at Hartsdown Park on Tuesday night as they were beaten 5-3 on penalties by Corinthian Casuals after conceding a 90th minute equaliser in the match.

?Margate were dealt a major setback in the warm up as goalkeeper for the night Patrick Lee injured his knee in the warm up and with no back up goalkeeper it was down to centre half Tom Wynter to take his place between the sticks, meaning Development player Jack Bray was marshalled into the back four just 20 minutes before kick-off.

The hosts started on the back foot and had Wynter to thank for still being level after five minutes as Odunaike ran through for the visitors before seeing his tame effort collected by the stand in number one.

The Blues took the lead in the 9th minute of the match with their first corner as young Bray rose highest to head home his first goal for the club and give the ‘Gate the lead in front of an impressive 253 at Hartsdown Park.

The hosts were looking to extend that lead quickly as both Orlando Smith and Harry Stannard forced Corinthians goalkeeper Danny Bracken into two very good saves before the visitors got themselves level in the 22nd minute.

Pacey Winger Jordan Clarke went on a mazy run down the left before cutting in on his right foot and unleashing a fierce effort into the bottom far corner to leave Wynter no chance.

Stannard, Jack Evans and Lee Prescott all had half chances comfortably saved by Bracken as both sides went in at the break all level.

It was the visitors who would start the second half stronger as Max Oldham rifled an effort Wynter’s way before the hosts started to take a firm grip on the game with an impressive 20 minute spell which should have seen them put this game to bed.

Goalscorer Bray saw another header well blocked before Stannard, Evans and Prescott all saw good chances go by the wayside as the game entered its final 10 minutes. The Blues were to get the goal they deserved in the 81st minute as Matt Bodkin raced down the right before driving a low effort past Bracken to seemingly put the Blues in the third round.

The visitors had other ideas though and after Smith saw his header ruled out for offside the visitors raced down the other end and equalised through Jack Strange who rose highest to head home from a corner to send the tie to penalties.

Both teams scored their first penalty however Lee Prescott skied his well over the bar and with Corinthian taking all their chances it was the Blues who exited after a 5-3 penalty defeat.

MARGATE: Wynter, Killick, Mills, Evans, Bray, Swift, Bodkin, Prescott, Ikeije (Rogers 58’) Smith, Stannard

Subs Not Used: Warden, Rudd, Ford

Attendance: 253 

Wednesday, 25 October 2017
By Ryan Day

More news