The Official Website of Margate Football Club
Facebook icon Twitter icon Instagram icon YouTube icon Mailing list icon
Margate FC 2 - 1 Kingstonian
Latest Result
Sat 23 Apr @ 3:00 PM
Match Centre
Margate FC Glebe
Next Fixture
Sat 09 Jul @ 3:00 PM
Match Centre
Home / News / Match Report / Hard Fought Point For The Gate

Hard Fought Point For The Gate

Hard Fought Point For The Gate

Margate continued their unbeaten run in the Bostik League with a hard-earned point away at Bognor Regis on Saturday afternoon.

An organised and resilient team performance merited a clean sheet against the League’s highest goal-scorers, an outstanding accomplishment for a squad ravaged by injury.

The Gate’s successful trip to West Sussex was overshadowed by a serious injury to influential defender Tom Wynter, who will miss the remainder of the campaign after snapping his achilles during the contest.

Margate’s hosts were looking to bounce back from their first defeat of the season during the week and showed their intent early on. Gate keeper Henry Newcombe required to be alert to a number of shots towards his goal and a flurry of early corners.

Frannie Collin crafted the visitors first chance of the game, manufacturing time and space for himself 25 yards out to launch a shot from distance, the effort whistling over the crossbar.

The Gate could have taken the lead when Lee Prescott rattled the bar with a powerful volley.

Minutes later, Wynter was down receiving treatment but devastatingly the prognosis proved correct, and last year’s Player of the Season will require surgery and be out for the remainder of the campaign. 

George Brown looked a threat for The Blues as they tried to shake off the horrible injury to their team-mate. Brown’s work down the wing offered a good outlet for Margate to test their opponent’s defensive capabilities.

Margate continued to enjoy the best of the first half. Centre-back Ben Swift coming close from a corner, but his header failed to meet the target. Whilst Collin was involved in the action again, stepping up to a set piece delivery which went over.

The first-half proved to be a good battle between two decent sides. A battle especially in midfield, with Prescot, Jordy Robins and Chris Barnard putting in a decent shift to disrupt Bogner’s tempo effectively.

Bogner had the post to thank once more before the half concluded, Tom Mills with a rocket shot that had the beating of the home keeper but went agonisingly close to hitting the back of the net.

After the break, Bogner were on the front foot and could have taken the lead after a goal mouth scramble. Margate’s defence ably marshalled by Skipper Liam Friend, averted the danger.

The hosts enjoyed a string of half chances but with Newcombe alert and vocal in the Gate goal, the Rocks afternoon was becoming increasingly frustrating.

Gate’s management team added fresh legs to the side as the challenging contest continued. A challenge made harder in the final ten minutes when Mills was dismissed from the field of player.

With Collin coming close for The Gate with a header down one end, Bogner Regis hit on the counter attack and with the Rooks striker in on goal, the Margate left-back made a sacrificial challenge which resulted in a red card.

The subsequent free kick was comfortably gathered by Newcombe, as tempers frayed the Margate team showed their strength of character once more, managing the game with great professionalism to ensure a valuable point was claimed.

Margate: Newcombe, Wynter (Paxman), Mills, Robins (Flisher), Friend, Swift, Brown (Okoh), Prescott, Taylor, Collin, Barnard. 

Subs: Kallmeier, Wilson,

Attendance: 551

Tuesday, 23 October 2018
By Charlotte Richardson

More news