The Official Website of Margate Football Club
Facebook icon Twitter icon Instagram icon YouTube icon Mailing list icon
Sittingbourne FC 1 - 2 Margate FC
Latest Result
Fri 05 Aug @ 7:45 PM
Match Centre
Margate FC Kingstonian
Next Fixture
Sat 13 Aug @ 3:00 PM
Match Centre
Home / News / Club News / U18's Progress To 1st Round Proper of Youth Cup

U18's Progress To 1st Round Proper of Youth Cup


The first team may be out, but Margate U18s will fly the blue flag in the first round proper of The FA Youth Cup - where they face a trip to Welling in the first round proper of the FA Youth Cup - following a 3-0 victory over Staines at Hartsdown Park on Thursday night.

Match Report by Ant Coombes

It was a nervous start to the match from both sides, understandably so considering the effort made to get to this stage and the potential stage awaiting them. Indeed it took until the quarter hour mark for the first effort on goal - when Sid Warden fired goalwards but just off target from the edge of the box. Much of the play was taking place in the middle of the park, with Staines looking a quick, physical side and the Young Blues were struggling to get the ball down. Their best moments were undoubtably coming down the right hand side, with Harvey Killick dominating the flank and Warden finding pockets of space in which to link up wth him. It was these two who worked together in the build up to the next attempt, the ball moved out to the left to Josh Richards, and finally finding it's way in to Harrison Hume whose overhead kick sailed over the bar.

The Gate were beginning to take control of the game for the second quarter, and Henry Ikeije came close to breaking the deadlock in the 27th minute, Richards playing a dangerous cross which the stretching Ikeije couldn't quite get enough of a final touch on. It was Ikeije again who came close 7 minutes later, when a superb long ball from Lewis Mitchell in the home goal released him down the left. He cut in past his man before fizzing a powerful low effort narrowly wide of the far post.

Just two minutes later, Staines were given a warning of things to come. Warden's cross from a short corner found Jack Bray who couldn't keep his header down on this occasion. And after Ikeije's shot was tipped away for a corner shortly after, Staines hadn't learned. Warden with the corner, BRAY with the header, the 'keeper with no chance. The deadlock broken and The Swans bench livid with the lax marking.

Gate pushed for a second before the break, first when Killick played in Seth Crabbe who poked an effort goalwards with the outside of his foot which was well tipped wide, and then when Killick hooked an effort marginally over the bar from the edge of the box.

HALF TIME: Margate U18 1-0 Staines Town U18

It was a lively start to the second half, and an early warning for the hosts when Staines missed a glaring chance from close range. Seemingly a tap in from 8 yards, but the striker completely fluffed his lines and the strike sailed well, well wide of it's target.

Up the other end, Richards tried his luck from distance, only to be denied by a fine save from The Swans #1. Gate then had a corner after Richard's surging run, Bray again got his header on target but it was blocked on the line and cleared.

Bray was involved at the other end shortly afterwards, blocking a through ball and conceding a corner. The left sided kick was played short before the cross whipped in and looking to be sailing into the top corner until Mitchell expertly tipped the ball away.

In the 56th minute, Henry Ikeije was updended after a good run down the right. Warden's cross from the free kick was only half cleared, and Jack Fenton nearly doubled The Gate's advantage with a deflected effort from 20 yards which was very well saved.

Play settled down over the next ten minutes, and Kunle Bakare replaced Crabbe. The fresh legs and pace of Bakare caused problems for the visitors, and a fine run from him led to the game's second goal with twenty minutes remaining. Getting to the dead ball line, his pull back was blocked for a corner. Warden again picked out Jack Bray who headed goalwards - this time the 'keeper was on hand to save it, but was only able to parry it out to IKEIJE who prodded home from point blank range.

Bakare and Ikeije were working well together, and this pairing forced another corner shortly afterwards, which came to nothing. Staines then missed another guilt edged opportunity, a deep corner from the right found it's man in acres of space on the edge of the goal area only for his strike to fly well wide of Mitchell's right hand post. And with ten minutes to go, Staines made it a hat trick of sitters, this time from 2 yards out from a corner which was somehow headed over the bar.

They were made to pay shortly afterwards when Margate put the game to bed. A surging run down the left hand side from Richards saw him brought down around 35 yards out. The resultant free kick was played into the box and eventually found it's way to IKEIJE who was able to finish and add some gloss to the scoreline.

This was to be the last action of the game and the scenes at the final whistle showed what it means to this talented young Margate side, who go to Welling the first round proper of the competition. Details to follow.

Margate: Lewis Mitchell, Harvey Killick, Tyler Dockwray, Jack Fenton, Jack Bray, Oliver Baker, Henry Ikeije, Harrison Hume, Seth Crabbe, Sidney Warden, Joshua Richards

Goals: Jack Bray, Henry Ikeije (2)

Sunday, 22 October 2017
By Ryan Day

More news