The Official Website of Margate Football Club
Facebook icon Twitter icon Instagram icon YouTube icon Mailing list icon
Margate FC 2 - 1 Kingstonian
Latest Result
Sat 23 Apr @ 3:00 PM
Match Centre
Margate FC Glebe
Next Fixture
Sat 09 Jul @ 3:00 PM
Match Centre
Home / News / Match Report / Taylor Brace Secures Enfield Win

Taylor Brace Secures Enfield Win

Taylor Brace Secures Enfield Win

A Joe Taylor brace secured a brilliant victory for Margate against a strong Enfield side at Hartsdown Park on Saturday afternoon.

A goal either side of half time was enough to end Enfield's unbeaten record during a competitive contest fitting for the Non-League Day celebrations taking place.

Margate’s Joint Management team made two changes to the starting eleven. Defender Tom Wynter making a full return in place of Jack Paxman, who was fit enough to be listed as a substitute, following a dead leg sustained against Harlow Town.

Whilst George Brown returned to Hartsdown Park and marked his loan extension with an impressive display.

The Gate started the game brightly enjoying plenty of possession and limiting their opponents to minimal time on the ball.

Taylor, Brown and Frannie Collin looked a dangerous attacking combination and their early efforts were rewarded when Brown was tripped in the box by Enfield's Aaron Greene, signalling a penalty.

Taylor stepped up to take the spot kick showing his cool to send the keeper the wrong way to break the deadlock.

The hosts looked steady and organised in defence and it took a classy strike from forward Billy Bricknell to equalise.

The Enfield man picked up the ball to turn and fire into the far corner. The goal sparked a good period of play for the visitors who searched for another before the break.

Margate’s defence had to withstand pressure but limited their opponents to a flurry of corners and shots from distance.

After the interval, The Gate had a number of half-chances to re-take the lead. Ben Swift came close with an overhead kick from a corner and could have got more for his efforts later on, as Margate appealed for a penalty when the young centre back appeared to be on the wrong end of mistimed challenge.

The referee waved away appeals and the game’s momentum swung from one end to the other when Enfield were handed a golden opportunity to go ahead.

Taofiq Olomowewe was left unmarked in the area and with the goal at his mercy, headed off target.

The visitors were left to rue this missed opportunity just minutes later when Margate took the lead again.

Taylor, manoeuvring around his marker produced a delightful, lofted finish to send the Hartsdown faithful behind goal into hysteria.

Enfield were not willing to surrender their brilliant start to the season without a fight and whilst they battled away, they were equalled by Margate’s first-class work rate and composure.

Substitute Alex Flisher caused the Enfield defence a torrid time down the left flank and looked to have won his side another spot kick having been fouled by Ryan Blackman.

Appeals were shut down much to the dismay of Flisher and his team-mates who subsequently went on to manage the game’s tempo until the final whistle blew, signalling three excellent, hard-fought points.

Margate: Newcombe, Wynter, Mills, Robins, Friend, Swift, G, Brown, Prescott (Flisher 58mins), Taylor, Collin, Barnard

Subs: Okoh, Lita, Wilson, Paxman.

Enfield: Wright, Parcell, Sutton, Johnson (Adams 84mins), Olomomweve, Rumens, Sayoud (Chaney 70mins), Youngs, Bricknell, Blackman,Greene (Hope 80mins)

Subs: McClean, Hatton.

Sunday, 14 October 2018
By Charlotte Richardson

More news