The Official Website of Margate Football Club
Facebook icon Twitter icon Instagram icon YouTube icon Mailing list icon
Margate FC 2 - 1 Kingstonian
Latest Result
Sat 23 Apr @ 3:00 PM
Match Centre
Margate FC Glebe
Next Fixture
Sat 09 Jul @ 3:00 PM
Match Centre
Home / News / Match Report / Margate Pull Off Historic Win

Margate Pull Off Historic Win

Margate Pull Off Historic Win

By Tom Morris

Reeves grabs a hat-trick and the ‘Gate score 5 as Carshalton are brushed aside at Hartsdown Park.

Donning the History Kit for the first time in the last Cup completion of the season the ‘Gate got off to an electric start scoring in the 4th minute as Adem Ramadan played a through ball to Elliott Reeves who charged at the defence and put a well placed shot into the bottom corner and past the goal keeper. The home supporters didn’t have to wait long for a second as Margate dominated the early exchanges and Ramadan scored with a close-range strike after great build up play. 2-0 up with only 12 minutes on the clock.

Carshalton were fielding a mixed eleven but managed to fashion a shooting chance for Lewis White, but the attacker saw his effort go narrowly wide of the far post. In the 24th minute it was Jordy Robins turn to go close with a outside-of-the-boot effort from 20 yards that went inches wide of the right-hand post. The game settled and there were half chances for Antwi and Ramadan before Margate got their third and Reeves his second in the 42nd minute; another strong run saw Reeves get into the box and collect the ball from Robins, another well placed powerful shot beat Perez in goal and it looked like we would go in at half time 3-0 up.

Perhaps we would have but when Noel Leighton was brough t down in the box in the 45th minute Elliott Reeves stepped up to calmly dispatch the penalty and claim his first hat-trick in a Margate shirt. 4-0. There was still time for Jauvan Splatt to score for Carshalton latching onto a rebound and firing under Tupper to make the score at half time 4-1.

The second half started at a much more relaxed pace, Margate retained possession well and passed the ball methodically looking to create another chance to score. Tupper made a couple of routine saves in the 52nd and 54th minute and Leighton was a boots width away from connecting with a Reeves cross and scoring his first of the match in the 55th minute. Jay introduced Kadell Daniel for Ben Thornby in the 60th minute and he set about creating chances and running at the opposition defenders almost scoring in the 65th minute when he collected a rebounded effort but put his shot wide of the post.

In the 71st minute he did get his goal at the second time of asking, first putting an effort wide from 8 yards before the ‘Gate quickly recycled the ball and Daniel was left unmarked in the box with a simple finish to make the score 5-1. Carshalton continued to threaten on the break and in the 78th minute Antwi nutmegged his marker and charged through on goal but lacked the composure to hit the target with his effort. Jay rang the changes bringing on academy prospects Nat Geddes and Seb Gallagher for Leighton and Sessegnon as we looked to see out the remaining minutes.

Gallagher showed good tenacity and strength to win the ball of Cheadle and feed Reeves in the 86th minute but the strikers shot lacked power and Perez made the save to deny him a fourth goal. After 3 minutes of injury time the match referee Peter Conn brough the game to a close and Margate will play away at Wingate and Finchley in the next round of the Velocity Cup.

Margate: Tupper, Abnett, Sessegnon (Geddes 77’), Robins, Johnson, Porter ©, Thornby (Daniel 60’), Monlouis, Reeves, Leighton (Gallagher 77’), Ramadan.

Subs: Kallmeier, Eyles.

Wednesday, 08 January 2020
By Charlotte Richardson

More news