The Official Website of Margate Football Club
Facebook icon Twitter icon Instagram icon YouTube icon Mailing list icon
Margate FC 2 - 1 Kingstonian
Latest Result
Sat 23 Apr @ 3:00 PM
Match Centre
Margate FC Glebe
Next Fixture
Sat 09 Jul @ 3:00 PM
Match Centre
Home / News / Match Report / Heavy Defeat On The Road For The Gate

Heavy Defeat On The Road For The Gate

Heavy Defeat On The Road For The Gate

By Tom Morris

The Gate suffered their heaviest defeat away from home as Enfield put us to the sword at the Queen Elizabeth II stadium. 

After passing an early pitch inspection the weather in North London remained mild all day and the Gate travelled to Enfield for our Bostik League fixture. 

After four minutes we got our first glimpse of the pace that on loan winger Joseph Hungbo has as he ran at the Enfield defence, from a Dave Martin cross field ball, but blazed over from 20 yards. 

The next 15-20 minutes were scrappy, with a lot of end to end play but few chances of note, Enfield drew a comfortable save from Wells with a freekick from 25 yards and failed to trouble the Gate defence with a succession of corners. 

Sid Sollis playing upfront had a header from 8 yards well saved and looked lively upfront in the number 9 role. 

Margate came close to scoring in the 35th minute when Martin, who had switched to the right flank, picked up a lose ball and drove towards the Enfield goal unleashing a powerful low shot from 35 yards out that beat the keeper and hit the inside of the post before Enfield cleared the danger. 

The Gate were left to rue this miss as Billy Bricknell headed Enfield in front in the 39th minute; good work down the left flank and a free cross into the box was headed past Wells and into the middle of the goal. 

The last action of the half saw Sid fire a snap shot across goal and the sides went back into the changing rooms with the score 1-0 to Enfield. 

The second half started with Enfield on the front foot and they doubled their lead in the 55th minute with a cross from the left being smashed into the roof of the net by Mickey Parcell from close range.

Things went from bad to worse for The Gate as Marc Weatherstone drew a point blank save from Wells but was alert to the rebound and headed home for 3-0 to Enfield in the 58th minute.

Our misery was compounded in the 64th minute as a Karl Oliyide corner was deflected past Wells and into the net by a Gate defender, 4-0 to Enfield and still 25 minutes to play.

Margate reacted with two substitutions as Robins and Smith replaced Stevenson and Sollis but despite our best efforts we were unable to create any goal scoring opportunities and the game finished Enfield Town 4-0 Margate FC.

Margate: Wells, Paxman, Mills, Rogers, Friend ©, Swift, Hungbo, Dymond, Sollis, Stevenson, Martin.

Subs: Kallmeier, Robins, Smith, Barnard.

The Gate are next in action on Tuesday 5th February as we welcome Dorking Wanderers to Hartsdown Park. You can purchase your ticket online here.

Monday, 04 February 2019
By Charlotte Richardson

More news